Monday, January 28, 2019

Insightful Feedback Thoughts


“Why Rejection Hurts so Much – and What to do About it” 

“Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work”

I do not think I ever really understood just how much rejection affects us as a species. I know from personal experience that I take rejections pretty hard, which is why I often don’t put myself out there often in terms of inviting people to go places or trying to date. I really just minimize the chances of me being rejected.

I really like how the articles tries to give ideas about how to “revive your self-worth”, but my greatest issue with that is that I would have a difficult time doing that because then I would feel like I’m really bragging about certain aspects of myself. If I am really at my lowest after a particularly strong rejection, then there is a good chance that I would probably doubt the things I list as valuable or just be hesitant to name them. After all, I bet everyone thinks that they are a valuable employee, but are they really? At this point, it sounds like I also experience some issues with self-doubt, which is why I picked the other article that I hope will help me with that aspect.

Right off the bat, the first strategy that is mentioned in the other article “Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work” hits me with something that I do often (and have done since a young age). I am sure that I am not the only teenage that grew up going to public school. And in public school, everyone gets their exams back at the same time. I cannot think of how many times I look at an exam grade and thought “looking good!” only to have a friend come up and show me an even better score. I tried to stop comparing myself to others long ago, but it really is a difficult endeavor. As a final note, I’m going to go ahead and say that I really wished I grew up with a growth mindset and not a combination of growth and fixed.

Memecat Stays Positive by Kevin Hodgson.

3 comments:

  1. Bianca, of course I noticed this great cat meme, and I really smiled when I saw the image info: Kevin Hodgson is one of my teacher friends online (he's an English teacher who uses all kinds of digital writing tools with his students). Thanks for sharing this here! I need to put this cat in the class announcements someday too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Bianca!

    I completely agree with you -- it's so easy to get wrapped up in the comparison game. We live in a society that values "the best" and so it's natural that in that environment we compare our achievements to those of others. The problem is that when we do this, we place all of our self-worth in how we stack up against others, and not how we stack up against ourselves. To adopt the growth mindset, we have to stop taking snapshots of how we compare to others right now and look at how far we've come in a certain field over time. Not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bianca,

    I am glad that I came across your feedback post. You touch on some very important things. It is very true that comparison to others is very prevalent in our society. I try to take the approach in doing my best and trying not to worry about how I stack up to others. I have found that this has been successful for me.

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete