Monday, January 28, 2019

My Very Original Topic Brainstorm


Topic 1: Ghost Stories of Japan
All ghost stories, or even just scary stories in general, always fascinate me. I like to see how each country incorporates their culture into their stories. The creativity and uniqueness that each country brings to their stories never ceases to amaze me. That being said, I am a big fan of Japanese culture and so I love their ghost stories. I must say that the stories I have come across are really unique. I cannot remember specifics, but most of the stories I have heard about feature an evil or even vengeful female spirit. I would really just like to get to know more stories in general. To retell them, I would probably just start out with the backstory of the ghost to make it seem like a normal story and then I would transition to the scary bit.

Hokusai Yurei. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Topic 2: Werewolves
 I chose this topic simply because I like the concept of werewolves. I want to say that I know quite a bit about werewolves, but I actually only know a lot about werewolves featured in American media. I can’t really say that I know much about the legends that originate in other countries. It would be nice to learn more about what other cultures think about werewolves and their associated legends. I think I would try to retell the story from the perspective of a smaller animal that always lives in the home of the recently transformed victim.

Werewolf. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Topic 3: Legendary Creatures
Once again, this topic is a prime example of picking a topic simply because it really piques my interest and seems cool. There are a variety of legendary creatures associated with different cultures, which means that I should have a really easy time trying to pick on for my story. I think for this topic I would like to try to incorporate legendary beasts from several different cultures that would have never met each other (if they were real that is) into on story. I know several legendary creatures as it stands, but I would really like to use new ones that I have never seen before/heard of before. I really hope that I get a backstory about each creature I come across.

Griffin. Source: Max Pixel.

Topic 4: Dragons
Dragons are by far one of my most favorite topics. I would even go so far as to say that dragons are my favorite topic. I am tempted to say that dragons are my favorite animal, but considering that they don’t exist, they are instead my favorite mythical creature. I really love how dragons from different cultures look really different! I would definitely want to explore retelling a story that features a variety of different dragons! I would really like to learn more about the dragons from different cultures like Greek dragons, which I didn’t even know existed until recently. 
Another link

  Dragon. Source: Public Domain.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Bianca!

    You've got some really intriguing topic ideas for a potential storybook here! I noticed right away that most of these have to do with mythical creatures -- I think it could be really cool if you made a sort of beastiary storybook, where each "chapter" tells tales about each creature, from the eyes of the culture that it's native to. Sort of like a "Fantastic Beasts and Where Bianca Finds Them". Great topics!

    ReplyDelete