Thursday, January 24, 2019

Week 2 Story: The Three Roses

*This story is now a part of my Portfolio*

In a relatively isolated village, there lived a mother with her three daughters, Emerald, Ruby, and Jane. The mother did not possess great wealth, but she did her best to ensure her daughters had everything they deserved, which if you asked her, she would say they deserved the world.

Because the village was isolated, the mother often had to travel to a neighboring village in order to acquire certain necessities. The day soon came that the mother had to make her weekly journey to the neighboring village. Before departing, she asked her three daughters if they required anything. Two of her daughters, Emerald and Ruby, requested a multitude of items that – if you asked anyone in the village – they did not in fact need. The mother, knowing that fulfilling such a request would put a considerable dent on her wallet and be a significant burden, ultimately acquiesced because it was well known that her daughters deserved the world. She then asked her third daughter, Jane, if she wanted anything. Surprisingly, Jane only requested three roses. Jane’s uniqueness lied in her normality. Unlike her sisters, Emerald and Ruby, Jane did not yearn for a life of opulence. The mother eagerly accepted Jane’s request and set off.

At the village, the mother spent quite a bit of time gathering everything that Emerald and Ruby asked for. Once her task was complete, she began to make the long trek home. It was on the way back that the mother realized that she had forgotten Jane’s roses. She dejectedly continued on her journey until she came across a peculiar sight. There, hidden in the forest, was the most extravagant rose garden she had ever witnessed. The mother quickly plucked three roses from the garden for Jane – she would hate to disappoint her daughter by not fulfilling her simple request after all. However, as soon as she gathered the flowers, a dragon appeared. The fierce dragon let out a mighty roar that shook the mother to her very core. He demanded that the woman pay for the flowers she stole for him by giving him something of equal value – her daughter. In fear of her mortal life, the mother quickly agreed and fled the scene.

Upon her arrival at home, the mother presented everyone with what they had asked for. Jane was ecstatic at the sight of the lovely roses. It was then that the mother sadly informed Jane that she must return to the rose garden in order to pay for the roses. For the most part, Jane was fine with the arrangement, although she was a little worried about what the future had in store for her.

Jane eventually made her way to the rose garden where she was encountered the awesome creature. The dragon then informed her that she must nurture him for three days. Not left with much of an option considering the dragon’s potentially deadly weapons, Jane agreed.

The three days passed quickly for both of them. At the conclusion of the third day, the dragon presented Jane with an abnormal request. He wanted her to burn him alive, and he threatened her with death if she did not comply. Although she was hesitant and did not want to end the life of such a magnificent creature, Jane complied with his request. The fire Jane attempted to start quickly took and the dragon let out a painful bellow as he was consumed by the flames. Jane stayed by his side until the fire died out and all that remained was ash. It was then that a beautiful human man arose from the ashes. He declared that because Jane had liberated him from his prison, he had to marry her. In addition, they would also have a grand party. Everyone, including Jane, was to have an incredible time at both events. They both lived together after that.

The end. 

 Dragon. Source: Pexels
Author's note: I tried to keep the main plot the same. I did make some minor changes to the character names to better reflect their personalities. I also changed the creature featured in the story because I love dragons. I chose to have the dragon burn because dragons breathe fire so I thought it would be a suitable end.

Bibliography: "The Three Roses " from Czech Folklore by Josef Baudis. Web Source.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bianca,

    I really like your retelling of this story. Your writing has a very "fairy-tale" quality to it that lends well to the atmosphere and overall story. The image you chose for this story is really neat and definitely fits. Although like you said, the main plot of the story is the same, I think the changes that you did make add interest to the story and enhance it. "Plain" Jane is especially a good choice in name for the main character.

    Thanks for the great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bianca!

    I like your retelling of this story. The first version of this story that I became familiar with was Beauty and the Beast. I enjoyed your change of beast by making the beast a dragon! I greatly like dragons as well. The dragon burning and having a man come from the ashes reminded me of a Phoenix being reborn, so that was some fun imagery! The words you used were super descriptive, and I appreciate your use of words like opulence and dejectedly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bianca!

    I really liked your retelling of the story. I think your writing did a really good job of conveying the original plot of the story. I also liked your choice to have a dragon that she has to burn. Similar to a snake whose head she has to remove but just a little bit different.

    After reading your story I had only a few questions that I felt went a little unanswered. Why do the daughters who want so much deserve all of it, what makes them so special? Did Jane have to go to the dragon or is she nicer and thus chose the fate herself? Were the other girls given the same option?

    I loved your story and the characterization you gave to the sisters, but I wish you had given more explanation to the dragon as well. A description of him as a man or what caused him to become a dragon would have really added to your story I think.

    I can't wait to read what you write next, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bianca!

    Great story and utilization of the original concept. I loved the mythological fairytale feel of the entire story. I tend to always modernize any story that I write because it is easier for me but I love the way you were able to keep in more traditional aspects of the story. I might try this next time! Did you consider adding in dialogue? I left this same comment on another blog post as well. I tend to use dialogue as a way to help bridge gaps from transition to transition. I think your story flowed very well but dialogue is always a great way to break it up a little and add a bit of a change of pace. I really like that you decided to rename the characters based upon their personalities. That is something I tend to try and do myself. Your story came out great. Good job!

    ReplyDelete